With thousands of therapists out there, all with smiling profile pictures, it can be difficult to choose the right fit. However, this is the most important part of therapy. In order to achieve your goals and live the life you want, you need to feel comfortable and trust in your therapist.
Here are a few questions to ask when choosing a therapist!
1. What is bringing you into therapy?
• Are you struggling with anxiety, depression, substance use, an eating disorder? Find a therapist who specializes in what you are going through.
• I primarily work with millenials who are struggling with Miami’s societal challenges and often release their emotions in substance use, engaging in dysfunctional relationships, or experience anxiety.
2. Hop on a call or meet with a therapist in person.
• Most therapists offer free phone consultations to see if the two are a fit. (You both are on this journey together!) Ask what their approach is as well as their areas of concentration.
• A phone consultation helps me understand what you are looking for in therapy and if I am the best fit therapist for you! We will talk about what you are experiencing and what you want to take away from therapy. I will explain my uplifting and positive approach and ways that we can achieve your goals together. You can also ask me all the questions you want!
3. Trust your gut!
• Check in with yourself. How do you feel in session? Your physical feelings are a great indicator as to how comfortable you feel in the moment.
Miami’s social pressures (dressing the part, having the right job, driving the right car, Tinder) can make us loose control of our actions (partying, sex, regrets). Lets work together to regain control of your actions.